Home | Forum | Profiles | Gallery | Links | Privacy Policy | Contact | E-mail List Sign-up

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite '87 memories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brianherriott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Favorite '87 memories Reply with quote

I thought I would start a new thread where we could all post some of our favorite memories of our class and/or other fun times.

Since a few of us were together back at Seymour Elementary we could even start there.

For example, I remember that thing called recess (do they still have those?) where we could basically just run around and create havoc. I don't even remember how long they were (1/2 hour?). We would frequently play tackle football (where the best players were usually Melissa Cox and Kerry Yeoward), Kickball, Dodgeball (We all feared John Jay's mighty throw), Tetherball (do I really have a memory of playing with Mrs. Cogswell?), or climb on the nutcracker. . . eh, I mean the Jungle Gym. Richie Anglin and I even used our imagination and created our own game that was called something like the Karachi Crunch (???) where we would get a running start and slide as far as possible in the pea gravel in front of school. It was really an amazing playground. There was also the great swingset that allowed you to nearly do a complete circle over the top.

The Cub Scout troupe would meet in the church across the street and afterwards lots of us would come out and play at night on the school playground. Well, one night after a meeting a few of us (John Jay, Roger Odle, Ace Olsen, Kenny Neal, Richie Anglin, and myself I think) were playing around near the slide and jungle gym when suddenly the sky lit up like bright daylight and sailing overhead was the most brightly colored meteorite I've ever seen. Of course, we all thought the Aliens had landed and went screaming inside that a flying saucer had just flown over. What a rush that was! I think I started reading sci-fi the next week!

Here's a quiz for fellow scouts: Do you remember what movie my Mom took us to by accident? p.s. we didn't stay for more than 10 minutes!!
Joe Williams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: more memories Reply with quote

Well, from the Mahomet side of the elementary tracks... Do you remember:

The kindergarten/library building with the bell tower?

Mr. Sailor, the principal of Sangamon?

Creating puppets for a play from a book at Lincoln Trail?

Learning sign language at Lincoln Trail?
LWilliamson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Gym "swing" Reply with quote

My favorite Seymour Elementary memory - that noone ever believes me about......... On rainy days during recess we were allowed to walk the climbing rope (the floor-to-high-ceiling rope used for fitness tests that I could never climb) up to the top of the bleachers and then jump off to swing out across the gym over the hardwood floor. Advanced participants would jump off from the top bleacher where you could only hold onto the knot at the end of the rope at first. You then had to quickly climb up in mid-air so as to not slam into the bleachers or floor on the down-swing. Amazingly fun, but would probably be the cause of a large lawsuit today. You have to think that the teachers were hoping it would result in smaller class sizes?
Arnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting here trying to see what I can remember about the elementary school. I do remember Mr. Sailor. I can't remember why - but I got sent to his office for a spanking. Not only did he use a paddle - it even had holes cut into it (I guess it cut down on the wind resistance as he swung it). All I know is it terrified the hell out of me. He finally had to stop my frantic sobbing by telling me "calm down - it won't hurt that much"!!! For some reason - I'm doubting that Joe keeps a paddle in his office. Smile I also recall sitting with in the cafeteria and not being allowed to leave until my tray was clean. The next logical step....yep... stuff the horrible vegetables into my empty milk carton.
laura wilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura--I totally remember swinging on the rope off the bleachers. Well, not me personally--I was way to chicken (smart?) to try it!

I have been sick with the flu this week so I have been doing a lot of thinking about what memories I have.

For Seymour School I remember (good and bad):

My first day (5th grade)-- I VERY VIVIDLY remember my first day at lunch and taking my lunch tray to the trash area and seeing the "dump bucket" (don't know if it had an official name) where all the leftover food was scraped into one big bucket. I took one look at that and ran to the bathroom and lost my lunch! Embarassed That was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen (and I think it was mixed veggies that day). I don't think I ordered cafeteria lunch for a long time after that.

I also remember that every time we had mashed potatos we had to "dissect" them to look for lumps of undissolved powder--ick!

Remember that 6th graders had the honor of selling milk at recess and in the winter we would find the ones that had frozen and sell them to our friends so we could have chocolate ice milk.

I also remember Whitney and Laura coming up to me on the playground at first recess and introducing themselves and asking me to play with them. The beginning of some great friendships.

Remember how easy it was to get Mrs. Cogswell off subject by getting her to tell a story? Some of the guys were soooo good at getting her started! Was Ian Curtis with us at Seymour? I seem to keep thinking he was, but he lived in town and right across from Lincoln Trail so that doesn't make sense? Anyway I keep thinking he was one of the best at getting her off track, but maybe I am mixing up with someone else? We were able to put off quite a few spelling tests and end of the day homework assignments with that trick! I did love her stories. I wish we had written them down--it would make a great book.

I think best memory of those years was Girl Scout camp with Laura. I am so sorry we never got that reunion together!

Remember the day that we were all in an assembly in the gym (don't remember what for) and Mr Jessup came in and quietly called all the teachers out into the hallway. When they came back they were all in a very serious/cranky mood and we were trying to figure out what was going on. When the assembly ended Mr Jessup announced to us all that President Reagan had been shot. Another vivid memory. . .

Must have been April 1st, 6th grade when Mr. A wasn't in the room when the bell rang. Mrs. Cogswell walked in and said she was teaching that day and to take out a paper and pencil for a pop quiz in the states and capitals. We were all sure we were doomed! I even remember that she had given us "Kentucky". Mr. A came back in and said it was a joke, all the teachers had switched around just to fool us all!

How about the Haunted House at the Halloween Carnival that the 6th graders put together? We all had a great time when it was our turn to do it--lucky us that Mr. Zumdahl got us lots of dry ice--it was sooooo cool to us at the time!

Last one--and one I have told recently to my kids. Remember when there was a sudden snowstorm and they didn't get the buses there to dismiss in time so we all had to STAY AT SCHOOL! I remember the teachers fixed PB&J and carrots and milk for us all for snack/dinner. We had to stay several hours until they thought they could get us home. I think that was the quietest bus ride ever!

Laura Wilson
Webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind a class of '88 grad posting here.

As I read the comments it reminded me of a couple things:

I attended Seymour for 5th grade due to overcrowding or something. I remember learning square dancing in the gym. Also remember watching movies (actual movies on reels on a projector) on special days like the last day before a holiday break.

I also had to comment that I had totally forgotten about Ace Olsen, but reading his name just made me think what a cool sounding name he had. He was born to be a rock star! Anybody know what he's up to now?

I was at Seymour, too, when Reagan was shot. I remember getting on the buses to go home that day and saying to everybody, "Who shot R.R.?" which I thought was terribly funny. The R.R. was, of course Ronald Reagan, but the whole "Who shot J.R." thing was sweeping the nation at the time. As I recall, some other folks didn't see the humor in it.

I also remember a hot air balloon being launched from the grassy area on the side of Seymour school opposite the playground.

I remember that snowstorm that stranded us, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Class of '87 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: