Home | Forum | Profiles | Gallery | Links | Privacy Policy | Contact | E-mail List Sign-up

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head Football Coach Tom Shallenberger Resigns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Stipp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Head Football Coach Tom Shallenberger Resigns Reply with quote

On Monday 4/21/08 the Fisher school board approved hiring Tom Shallenberger as their High School Principal. With that said an era in Bulldog football history has ended. I would be interested in hearing your stories about Coach Shallenberger.
Class of 1973
26yrs. teaching at Mahomet-Seymour Jr. High
Rob Thomaaon

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Coach Reply with quote

I credit Coach Shallenberger for teaching me work ethic, and setting goals for myself. I never had the most natural talent but Coach taught me that by setting goals and working hard you can accomplish anything.
I guess that all eras must come to an end, but there are a lot of people like me that would not be where we are today with out Coach Shallenberger.

Rob Thomason
Detective Belleville Police Department
Class of 1994
John Johnson

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Shallenberger is a very special person to me. I can't say enough good things about him. Coach Shallenberger was not just a football coach to me, he was a role model. He saw potential in me that I didn't see and that nobody else saw. He gave me the encouragement I needed to be successful not only on the field, but more importantly, in life. Coach used to always take time to talk with me and see how I was doing. I remember one time I got into a pretty bad fight with this kid after school my Freshman year, and the next day Coach pulled me aside and talked to me about it and said some things to me that changed my life. Coach was always there pushing me to be a better person and to never give up. I remember when Coach started the Bigger, Faster, Stronger lifting program and used me and a few other guys as the guinea pigs. Coach used to get so excited when we would lift, I thought he was going to blow a gasket. That was a very special time for MSHS football and he let me be a part of it. I hated school, but I went to college and got a Masters degree in Molecular Biology and am now a research scientist for GlaxoSmithKline pharmaceuticals. I can honestly say that I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for Coach Shallenberger.
Brianherriott

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Message from Brian Herriott Reply with quote

I have lots of great memories of Tom. He was a central figure thoughout my high school years and for years afterwards. Our Freshman year was also his first year of coaching and I remember meeting eyes with him after practice during a team meeting. In that look I knew he really wanted to be right where he was and was incredibly motivated to help us be the best we could be. He always challenged me to go that extra inch, to lift more weights, to study film more, etc. He was also honest with his players and would frequently tell us things we didn't want to hear but needed to hear. There are several things he told me early on that I still carry with me today.

I also had great fun being around him as a person. As frighteningly serious as he could be, he also had a great sense of humor and I always loved trying to make him laugh.

We went to the State Semi-final game our senior year in '87. We were really close as a team and there was an incredible bond between us as a team and coaches. As a captain for that team, it always gave me great joy to please Tom and the rest of the coaching staff. I wanted very badly to win for them as a way of thanking them for all they'd done and sacrificed for us. Although we didn't make it all the way we gave it our best shot and I know Tom was very proud of all of us. He started with us as freshmen and for the next 4 years he never gave up. He never let us give up either. He cheered with us when we won and he wept with us when it came to an end. Like most great experiences in life those years were full of great pain and tremendous joy. I will always be proud to have been a Bulldog and played for and with such great men.

21 years later as I write this the memories are coming back fresh and it feels as if it all happened just yesterday. I hope Tom is leaving with pride in a job well done and I wish him all the best in his new career. I can't thank him enough for all that he did for me. Thanks Coach.

Sincerely,
Brian Herriott
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Bulldog Sports/Athletics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: