Home | Forum | Profiles | Gallery | Links | Privacy Policy | Contact | E-mail List Sign-up

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How has Mahomet changed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: How has Mahomet changed? Reply with quote

Sadly, I haven't been back to Mahomet for a couple years. The last time I was there, I remember seeing a McDonald's! We're in the big time now!

I remember when I was about 16 (1986) when we got a Hardee's. That was a big deal, because until that point, the only "fast food" was Dairy Queen.

What else is new in Mahomet?
sivier6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: new in mahomet Reply with quote

stop lights
Webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop lights? No! I don't believe it. Where?

Do you still live in Mahomet, Sarah?
Busch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Mahomet Changing Reply with quote

There are stoplights at both 150/47 intersections, there is one on 150/Prairieview & there is one on 47N smack dab in the middle of town. Hardee's is now an Arby's. The highschool was remodeled & built on to, including a fieldhouse. The Jr. High has two gyms & the intersection in front of Lincoln trail is crazy, it's like a 3-lane or something. Subdivisions are being built on 47N & there is a condo going up across the street from Carle Clinic's new(er) building. The old one is now the police station. It's been like that for a few years though.
canderson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: brace yourself Reply with quote

I don't know if you're prepared for this "everything changes" moment. . . but your Hardees is now an Arby's. Can you say potatocakes?
sivier6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in Mahomet, however I visit a few times a year. My folks still live there. It is a strange thing to see the stop lights, the McDonald's, the addition to the high school. It is nice to see that the town is becoming a bit more up to date. But still no liquor, my brother-in-law once walked to IGA to pick up some wine for our Thanksgiving dinner. He came back, very surprised!!
Webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen an IGA outside of central Illinois.

Out here in Philly we have Acme, Genuardi's, Pathmark, ShopRite, Superfresh, and for expensive organic food, Whole Foods.
canderson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: IGA Reply with quote

I believe that IGA stands for "Illinois Grocer's Association," so it would make sense that you wouldn't see one outside of Illinois. But I still remember the good old jingle, "It's Good America, at IGAaaaaaaY!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: IGA Reply with quote

Chris. I believe IGA stands for Independant Grocers Alliance.
canderson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Drat! Reply with quote

Sure, shatter my illusion! My answer was completely logical! Wrong. . . but logical.
canderson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Oh the degradation Reply with quote

In complete humiliation (due to my earlier false posting), I felt obligated to research IGA. In my limited Google-ing, I found Independent Grocers Alliances (I admit my defeat) in Maryland, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ohio. At this point in my method, I ended my hunt, fully able to conclude that there are, in fact, IGA's outside of Central Illinois. In shame, I resign to my corner, humming the catchy jingle that has stuck with me all these many years. "It's Good America. . . .
Buck Waddell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went over to my Moms at Thanksgiving and drove around before heading back home. Could not believe how much its has changed. I drove past the old practice football field and now it has softball diamonds?!?!? It is still a nice town driving up Meridian past the old house we used to live at!! (Across from the funeral home!!)
Webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna break the news to you myself, Chris, for I, in my infinite wisdom knew that the "I" in IGA did not stand for "Illinois"...unfortunately, I though it stood for International or something, so I'm lucky I didn't try to show off, or I would have looked as immensely foolish as you! Wink

Just kidding!

As Todd Scholtens (who would have graduated in '87, I believe, had he not moved) used to call it (and his dad worked for IGA, so he could get away with it): International Garbage Assocation. (Or something like that.)

Does the IGA sell sushi? That would be a true sign of the times!
canderson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the shock of seeing a gyro shop in Mahomet, Nero's Gyro's or something like that. "Can a gyro shop make it in Mahomet?" I asked myself. The answer, "no," it's closed down already. Nice try Nero.

It also looks like the high school has expanded, though I haven't been inside to see what the tumorous growths stemmed from? I'm sure it's athletic.

Remember when Stewart's gas station had video games? I remember going down with $2. I'd jack $1.50 into the games -- like Gallaga, Pacman (John Creech was always on this game FOREVER), and some addictive kung-fu game that was a real money muncher -- and then I'd spend the remaining fifty cents on Dukes of Hazard collector's cards. That was when you entered from the other end of the building from where you enter now.

Remember that monstrous wooden construction at Lincoln Trail. That thing was a law suit waiting to happen. Once per recess, some unfortunate child would fall further than they intended to or get jabbed by some protruding splinter. When we weren't in crying in pain, boy were we having fun!

I wonder if they've changed the surface of the cinder track at the Junior High? Watching a 200 m hurdle race was more gruesome than a night of cage fighting. Guaranteed, one person would fail to clear their hurdle, thus falling face first into a cinder sandwich. At that point, time to pick out cinders from your skin with tweezers, chased by the nice boiling touch of anticeptic. Ouch!

And the thing I miss the most about Mahomet, . . . Bulldog Pizza, . . . especially back when it was in the house off of Route 48, with those pictures of the sports guy that looked like Moose Handlin (sp?). I won't miss the uncomfortable wooden booths, though.

Thanx for letting me waste time at work on the last day before Christmas break. . .
AGConnor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: One thing i miss... Reply with quote

I miss Apple Harvest Days at the Early American Museum. There was nothing better than a cup of warm apple cider and a apple fritter. Do they still have that out there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Talk of the town All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: