Mahomet was first settled in 1830 by Daniel Porter.
Mahomet township was originally platted as "Middletown"
in 1832, and finally recorded when the new County of Champaign
was organized in 1836. The Post Office was changed to Mahomet
around 1840 because another town in Logan County was named Middletown.
The name of the township was officially changed to Mahomet in
1867, and the Village of Mahomet was incorporated in 1872.
Agriculture and transportation provided the original
impetus for the village's growth. The Old Bloomington Road forded
the Sanagmon River at Mahomet. This provided opportunities for
businesses such as a ferry, taverns, and boarding houses. The
Indiana, Bloomington, and Western Railroad, later known as the
Norfolk and Western, ran a line through the Mahomet area, and
provided transportation between Bloomington and Danville. A mill
and elevator located near the railroad at Mahomet in 1879 along
with other agriculturally related businesses which needed the
railroad to transport goods. The area supported several farm families
which included Benjamin Franklin Harris who farmed 5,000 acres
in the area.
Today, proximity and convenient access to major
population centers have contributed to the Village's continued
growth. The Village was considered an independent community in
the first half of the Twentieth Century, with most of its labor
working in the Mahomet area, and a majority of the goods and services
being purchased within the township. The completion of Interstate
74 has changed the development of Mahomet into a "bedroom"
community for Champaign-Urbana. Today, the majority of Mahomet's
labor force commute to jobs in other communities, and most of
the goods and services are purchased outside the Village. For
information about the business community in Mahomet, please check
the Web site of the Mahomet Chamber of Commerce.